Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Weight Loss as a South Indian

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Weight Loss as a South Indian

Hi! Long time lurker here, and started reading the posts here even before I started my weight loss journey. Reading the posts from this subreddit and stepping on the scales after years and seeing 89.7kgs and realizing that I am overweight made me horrified and led me to start on this weight loss journey.

I started my journey in August and I have reached my first goal weight right before New Year. I have lost around 14.5 kgs and I am no longer overweight. I have never felt better or more beautiful in my life. Clothes fit me better, I look younger and I have so much more confidence in myself. However, it isn't easy losing weight as a South Indian who stays with her parents, and where the staple diet is rice and which they insist we eat 3 times a day. So here are some tips and tricks (which worked for me, please don't take it as a formal guideline) for my fellow Indians who are struggling with weight loss.

  • Calorie Counting/Portion Control: It is very difficult to get accurate calorie counts, even in Healthify, especially when some of the foods your parents' cook are available only in your region and doesn't even have a standard name. My idea was to reduce my portions. Instead of eating 3 dosas, I had just 2 for breakfast, two servings to half a serving of rice for lunch, just fruits for dinner, etc.

  • Snacks: We have so many fattening, oily snacks in India. Try to avoid them as much as possible. This is what I believe helped me the most. I stopped having snacks with my evening tea. I have a sweet-tooth, so I still had sugar cravings. I satisfied it by eating a small 5Rs Munch or some other small chocolate.

  • Exercising: This was easy as my grandmother walks at 5AM daily and I started going along with her. I don't know how much it helped me in terms of burning calories, but it helped me set the tone for the rest of the day, by making me feel accomplished right in the morning itself. Currently I am doing C25k and I love it. I also love cycling, and do it if I have energy and time after work.

  • Negotiating with parents: They would want you to eat more rice/rotis, but we know we can't. To console them, fill your plate with the vegetable sides that they cook. Then you'll automatically end up taking less rice, and they would be fine too, as they would see your plate filled. Eat an egg instead of an extra dosa/idli in the mornings. Replacement would work fine for them. In their eyes, volume matters more.

I hope these help at least a few of you all. I am in the second phase of my journey, inching slowly towards my GW2 and I still follow these steps. Weight loss is slower now, but it still works. Good luck to everyone trying to lose their weight and Happy New Year! Also, huge thanks to this sub for being the biggest helping hand in my journey. Finally, sorry for the extremely long post.

submitted by /u/sedsackofpotatoes
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/rqy2i3/weight_loss_as_a_south_indian/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...