Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: overeating as a symptom of ADHD? anyone else experience this?

Friday, August 27, 2021

overeating as a symptom of ADHD? anyone else experience this?

for background, i got diagnosed with ADHD a year ago, which immediately explained SO MUCH of what i've struggled with my entire life. but i never knew there was a connection to overeating until today.

i've managed to keep off 50lbs since my weight loss journey began almost 3 years ago, but it is a constant struggle for me. i've always been jealous of reading from people who can just, NOT eat something, or NOT eat too much of something. often, i'll be eating something and not even realize it!

lately, i've had an issue at work of not being able to pay attention. i think this has to do with burnout, as it's been a really rough year for us and we all have been feeling the pressure. people have been quitting left and right. it's been hard to focus on my tedious tasks, and i find myself snacking whenever possible, as it's soothing to the anxiety/antsy feelings i get from having to stay still and focused on one thing all day. however, it has been a big problem as i am starting to put on weight again, and can't seem to stop by myself.

today, i talked to my psychiatrist about being reprimanded at work for not staying on task, and asked about switching medications to see if it would help me. she informed me that the overeating behaviors i was describing sounded like symptoms of ADHD. this was a surprise to me, but i've spent all day reading about the connections between ADHD and binge eating disorder/disordered eating behaviors, and there are indeed studies that show a connection!

i've felt crazy and ashamed all my life for never being able to control my impulses around food, and i realize this is just an initial theory, but it feels like a relief to know that there may be a real reason i feel the way i do. i have been on non-stimulant medications previously, but i am working with her to try out some stimulants (Adderall to start) to treat both my ADHD itself, and to reduce my appetite. i'm excited at the prospect of being able to have more control, and hopefully getting over the plateau i've been at for a long time now.

submitted by /u/Ok_Egg_6453
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/pd0qhc/overeating_as_a_symptom_of_adhd_anyone_else/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...