Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: My 13 year old son is morbidly obese and I don't know what to do

Friday, May 27, 2022

My 13 year old son is morbidly obese and I don't know what to do

He was adopted as a toddler, alongside his biological brother who was 11 at the time (now 22). His brother was overweight too, but not by as much and he got it under control by getting into boxing in his teens. He now has a very strict diet, but 13m isn't interested in learning from him or getting into sport sadly. He thinks 22m's diet is miserable and he doesn't like exercising.

Our bio kids (19f and 23m) are both thin like us, maybe there is some genetic component to our adopted kids' obesity I'm not sure.

I am at a loss with what to do with him. He is enormous due to stealing food and buying any he can, also my husband is a bit softer on him than I am and sometimes lets him have extra snacks. I made it clear to my husband this is unacceptable and it makes me the "bad parent" in his eyes.

He is 5'3 and 207lbs which terrifies me because he weighs more than every other family member by a significant amount.

Last month we took away his lunch money which made him very upset but we had no choice, we now pack him a healthy lunch instead. He often steals from the food cupboards unless we lock them so we have now bought locks for the cupboards. We took him to a doctor who basically said to just make sure he doesn't eat junk food and try to get him more active. We already do that and it didn't work.

We decided we had to take harsher measures and we put him on a low carb diet last week. We already track his weight but now I think we need to track calories too? I never wanted to do any of this but it is a last resort. He is mad at me for the diet and I know he already feels bad about his size but I can't allow this to continue. Obese kids are nearly always obese adults and I want him to live a long and happy life. I know he wants to lose weight, he is clearly aware of his size and already gets teased in school, but he doesn't care enough to change without pushing.

Is there anything else we can do?? Is the diet a bad idea?

submitted by /u/mario979799
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/uzdgg3/my_13_year_old_son_is_morbidly_obese_and_i_dont/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...