Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Worried about gaining 8lb in one month, making me go from a 22.8 BMI to overweight. How likely is it that the 8lb is actually fat?

Friday, March 4, 2022

Worried about gaining 8lb in one month, making me go from a 22.8 BMI to overweight. How likely is it that the 8lb is actually fat?

I went to the doctor today for a follow up appointment for an unrelated issue and learned that I've allegedly gained 8lb in one month. Now I'm wondering to what extent that might be water weight and/or muscle mass.

I weighed 117 at the doctor last time I was there four weeks ago and now weigh 125. I've never weighed that much before in my life (5 feet tall). I've been holding my weight between 112 and 118 for the last two years and actually lost weight during COVID (despite drinking way too much and snacking more often). I'm usually able to carry my weight well and I wonder if I legit have big bones (e.g. was legitimately emaciated at 95lb, lost a lot of my hair and period).

I don't count calories (recovered from anorexia) but I don't think I eat very much, usually eating a small piece of baked oatmeal (made with just bananas, water, and oats) if I eat breakfast at all, eat a small homemade salad for lunch (e.g. a handful of chickpeas, 1/3 c cooked quinoa, a big dose of greens + vegetables, maybe a drizzle of tahini or olive oil, and I'll probably only eat half of that), and a home cooked meal of sorts (like 1/4 c rice, some broccoli, a chicken breast, maybe a sauce). Maybe I'll drink half of an oat milk latte (like 6 oz). I use oil sparingly. My husband and I go out to eat once a week and usually share a few plates of sushi. I'll have a single beer for fun once a week or so, too. I do eat a lot of salt though.

The only changes I've made since last month are doing more workouts (added pilates 4x a week; was previously using Peloton 2-3x a week), taking hikes on Saturdays, getting up early (waking at 6:30 now), and being a little bad about my water intake (drinking maybe 4c a day which needs to change). I also have been taking Miralax daily for some ongoing GI issues, which was prescribed to me. I was taking it prior to the last month, but every other day instead of the now daily routine.

My physique is shockingly more muscular now than it was last month (no weight training, just pilates) and I can see the midline of my abs/obliques starting to appear, alongside good definition in my shoulders, arms, calves, and quads. My clothes fit the same, which I wouldn't expect would be the case with 8lb of weight gain at my height (that's like 15lb on someone else). I still wear a size 2 or 4 and my measurements haven't changed (e.g. waist is still 25").

Is it possible this is just water weight from me being bad about my water? Retention from the Miralax (TMI but it's osmotic and draws water into the colon)? Retention from weighing 15 min after I finished my morning pilates workout? New muscle? Margin of error from the digital scale? Being chronically constipated (lmao fml)? Maybe I'm just overweight and in denial (but how could I be overweight and a size 2? AHH). Can't weigh myself again in a few days because my partner and I both can get fixated on the scale (clearly) so we don't own one.

It just feels bad because I had so proudly held my weight down for a long time and had started to actually like how I looked recently after noticing major strength gains. When I stepped on the scale today I went from a healthy weight to being overweight overnight, and now I'm scared that eating small portions, whole foods, and moving my body in a way that is non-restrictive and makes me feel good is actually going to make me overweight.

Thanks for reading!

submitted by /u/justadonkeyinawig
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/t6vi4t/worried_about_gaining_8lb_in_one_month_making_me/

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Lose 20 Pounds at Home with a Busy Schedule Over 40s

How to Lose 20 Pounds at Home with a Busy Schedule Over 40s This video caters to individuals in their 30s and 40s who are seeking to red...