Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Why is it harder to lose the weight the second time?

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Why is it harder to lose the weight the second time?

First time poster long time lurker disclaimer. Also I expect this to be a long post so apologies for not being concise.

TL;DR - Lost over 50 lbs 7 years ago. Put all of the weight back on and then some in the last 3-4 years due to various circumstances. Being older and wiser is not making weight loss any easier this time.

About me: 34F, 5'7", 244 lbs

7 years ago I was in the best shape of my life. I was doing CICO without really knowing that's what I was doing. I also worked out 5 or 6 days a week for 2-3 hours and I felt wonderful and confident and so full of life.

I slowly started gaining weight after entering my relationship with my now hubby. Wedding stress got to me and I was not at my best for the big day but it was a beautiful day and that's all that matters about that.

About 3-4 years ago I wanted to get back into shape and work on losing weight. I had hit just over 200 lbs and was not happy. Instead of just going to the gym I also joined a flag football rec league for super beginners. All in all it was a fun experience until my last game. Since it was a coed league a minimum of two girls need to be on the field at all times. Due to various circumstances only me and one other girl were able to play the full 1.5 hour game. It was the semi-final of our league and we got destroyed by the other team. Rather than just taking the mercy loss the guys wanted "the practice" and decided to keep playing. We had 5 minutes to go and I was at the line getting ready to receive a pass. I run my slant route and catch the ball, turn to run for the goal and bam! A guy on the other team took me out. The impact was so bad I shattered my left elbow and tore my left ACL. I have never been injured so badly in my life. When I got to the hospital I knew it was really bad because the emergency doctor was excited to see my x-rays.

I got reconstructive surgery on my elbow within the week but it took me months of rehab to be able to use my arm properly. You probably don't realize how much your elbow does until it shatters. It took me almost 16 months to get into surgery for my knee. During that time I could not exercise comfortably. There were time I couldn't even walk in a straight line without my knee buckling under me. After my knee surgery I got my range of motion back but never the strength which is likely my own fault. During this whole time I'm gaining weight and my mental health was deteriorating. Eventually everything culminated into me have a big time break down 1.5 years ago and I finally started focusing on myself again.

So now I'm trying to monitor my eating and get back into working out but the last year has been me trying to establish habits and failing. I don't know if it's harder because I have a spouse and my eating habits are so different. I don't have the energy to make two separate meals regularly in order to satisfy us both. I like to work out still but my knee is still a problem. I do low impact exercises but it doesn't always feel as fulfilling as I would like. Now I'm taking advantage of the pandemic to just buckle down and establish healthy habits.

I'm hoping this time I can stick with it but thought I would finally post in this wonderful community because I need to keep myself on track and this will be a good reminder to myself.

submitted by /u/MilaRuteeRose
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/gbbdki/why_is_it_harder_to_lose_the_weight_the_second/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...