Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: (Un) fortunately we live in a time of excess and easily available food. The wisdom of the past no longer applies.

Thursday, September 22, 2022

(Un) fortunately we live in a time of excess and easily available food. The wisdom of the past no longer applies.

My great-grandparents lived in a time where hunger was common and people struggled to eat. They planted their own food, raised chickens and were not wasteful with their food. The food they had barely met their daily caloric intake. Most of them lived past 90.

60 years later my grandparents, having grown up with my great-grandparents have the mentality of eating everything in the plate, not throwing away food, hoarding and buying simultaneously huge amounts of food. About 30% of the food is lost. Either from going bad or cooking too much food. One way or another huge amounts of foods are lost in my household.

And, I'm pretty sure my grandparents are not alone in this behavior.

At my grandmother's behest I recently moved to the apartment next to her so I could help her with my grandfather. I had lost about 60 pounds and was in the best shape of my life in February when I moved and she has been non-stop feeding me. About two months ago, after gaining 15 pounds back and repeatedly warning her not to cook me food or bake me sweets, I started throwing food away and telling her I threw it away. She was livid, and I was livid.

After a period of adjustment she finally understood that I don't need cooked food from her. She still insists on giving me stuff because I help so much with my grandparents so I basically give her my grocery list (which is basically eggs, almond milk, and whichever fruits and vegetables are on sale). Now I don't have to go shopping, she doesn't have to cook for me, but she fills she's helping me in her own way. She also spends about 1/2 she used to spend on food I didn't want.

So, in your weight loss journey don't be afraid to:

  1. Buy a much smaller, calculated shopping cart.
  2. Throw away food.
  3. Say no and be firm when people give you food.
  4. Hurt the feelings of people when your health is concerned. (be tactful and tactical, but be firm and follow through with others and yourself).
  5. Forgo the wisdom of the past when related to food scarcity.
submitted by /u/jorgeuhs
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/xlg72z/un_fortunately_we_live_in_a_time_of_excess_and/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...