Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: How much has walking impacted my weight?

Monday, November 29, 2021

How much has walking impacted my weight?

M / 5'11" / SW: 270 / CW: 200 / GW: 185

Over the course of this year, I have lost 30 lbs. I have made some significant changes in a number of areas, but there are two that stand out for me most:

  1. Reducing my drinking (though somewhat replaced with marijuana that comes with the munchies)
  2. A lot of walking

I set a target of 10,000 steps/day average over the course of the year. So far, I've crushed it and I'm averaging around 10,900 steps/day YTD. Last year, I averaged 5,350 steps/day.

It got me to thinking how much of my weight loss this year is related specifically to my increased walking this year. So, I did some math, but I'd love for thoughts on whether my thinking is reasonable or whether I'm making any incorrect assumptions.

This article gave me a formula for calculating calories/min: calories burned per minute = 0.0175 x Metabolic Equivalent of Task (MET) x weight in kilograms

I got my MET from this site and while I think I typically walk at a very brisk pace, I'm using a conservative MET of 4.0.

0.0175 * 4 * 90 kg = 6.3 cal/min

6.3 cal/min * 90 min = 567 calories /day

567 / 2 = 283.5 (this is roughly the difference between this year and last year)

283.5/day * 365 days = 94,405 additional calories burned due to walking this year

94,405 / 3,500 calories in a lb = 27 lbs

Is it accurate to say that my walking for the past 12 months has contributed to 27 lbs of weight loss vs. if I had just maintained my walking pace from last year? Or put another way, I would have lost 3 lbs if I only had my diet changes?

submitted by /u/crazy_canuck
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/r5fy8k/how_much_has_walking_impacted_my_weight/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...