Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Should I still be taking metformin if I'm a healthy BMI?

Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Should I still be taking metformin if I'm a healthy BMI?

Hi everyone,

Please read the whole post as this is a bit case specific

I have PCOS and at my HW, my doctor prescribed me metformin (2 a day after dinner). I stopped taking it maybe 9-10 months ago (outside of my doctor's recommendation) because I was lazy.

About 7 months ago, I became determined to lose weight and have since lost 72lb, bringing me from an obese to healthy BMI. I recently decided to go back on metformin after watching a girl with PCOS discuss her symptoms of insulin resistance and noticing that a lot of them were congruent with what I was experiencing. My sister who has PCOS and the same prescription said it has been helpful for her as well (although she is significantly heavier than me).

Here's where I'm confused and think I need someone to explain insulin resistance to me. My mom does not want me to take metformin because she's concerned that since this was a prescription I received when I was much heavier this might be dropping my blood sugar too low now that I'm lighter. However, I don't think my PCOS or insulin resistance simply went away, which is why I decided to take metformin again in the first place. If I lost a significant amount of weight, is my insulin resistance reversed? Is it safe to take my old prescription of metformin?

submitted by /u/dayfIying
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/12z6qf7/should_i_still_be_taking_metformin_if_im_a/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...