Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: I feel like a hypocrite

Sunday, February 20, 2022

I feel like a hypocrite

I (23F) weighed myself for the first time in a year and was completely disgusted and disappointed by the number. When I started undergrad I was around 135 and even then I wasn't happy with how I looked. Fast forward 5ish years and I'm officially 160 despite being only 5'3 and I'm just so upset with myself...I knew I had gained weight but reaching the +25 lbs "milestone" really put things into perspective for me.

My issue is that I know exactly why I've gained the weight but idk how to fix it. Becoming a competitive medical school applicant meant devoting 100% of my efforts towards my studies. I was under a lot of stress, ate the comfort foods I probably shouldn't have, and was so mentally exhausted that I rarely had the energy to exercise. Any extra time I had was spent with friends or sleeping. In short, every time I had to choose between focusing on my studies or my health, I chose my studies. My fear is that I'll need to continue prioritizing my studies over myself as I grow closer to becoming a physician, so I wont be able to put an end to this cycle and my health will just continue to deteriorate.

On one hand, I think devoting all that time to my work helped me become qualified enough to go to med school. On the other hand, how can I help people be the healthiest version of themselves when I can't be the healthiest version of myself?? How can I encourage people to make good lifestyle decisions despite the stressors in their lives when I clearly can't make good lifestyle choices in the same situations? And how ironic is it that learning about health is quite literally ruining own health lol. I just feel like it's hypocritical for me to lecture others about their health related mistakes when I clearly don't have my own health under control.

Obviously I want to lose the weight I've gained, but I need a more sustainable way to keep myself in check during med school. I gain weight when I'm stressed (thanks genetics!) and the next 4-10 years are gonna be hella stressful. I 100% use food as my escape which I know is bad, and I know I need to do a better job of working exercise back into my life. I feel like my limiting factors are time and energy and idk how to deal with either. I'm hoping to start developing some good habits that I can take with me to med school and I would really appreciate advice on what changes I can make and how I can improve. Thanks for letting me rant :')

TLDR: I (23F) gained 25lbs (135 -> 160) and am really disappointed in myself. I'm starting medical school in the fall and feel like it's hypocritical for me to be a physician and point out my patients health mistakes when I can't even control my own weight.

submitted by /u/desanguinate
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/sxew7y/i_feel_like_a_hypocrite/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...