Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Losing weight and gaining muscle slow and steady, without obsessing?

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Losing weight and gaining muscle slow and steady, without obsessing?

I was a chubby kid growing up so I get really insecure about my weight. I don't think I've been really "fat" since I was a kid, but since then I've always fluctuated between fit / cut and less fit with a little bit of a gut. I'd say it's like a 10kg band more or less between 75kg and 85k, maybe a bit lower (73-74kg) or a bit higher (86-87kg), but mostly within those 10kg. My height is 178cm. I'm a male. (For American friends: I fluctuate between about 165 and 190 lbs, I'm 5'9 or so).

I think the reason I'm so prone to fluctuations is because of differences in activity levels. My diet never really changes, it's a healthy pescetarian diet, not much junk food but I also don't count calories or macros. But with activity, it's like I go really hard and then burn myself out / get injured, and then I have to stop. So my fitness / weight fluctuates.

I've always been active to some extent, but over the last few years I've been in and out of activities like karate and zumba, had periods where I ran more, been in and out of the gym (thanks to Covid this last time around). Unfortunately, in May of last year I had a bad flare up of plantar fasciitis and I had to stop running and even walking for about 4 months. I tried to incorporate some swimming but hurt my back due to poor form, so that wasn't as regular as I would have liked. I also wasn't going to the gym due to Covid. I guess I was just kind of fed up of exercise, too. So due to all that, in September of last year two people mentioned to me that "I had gained weight", which is annoying and stupid but they were right.

I decided I would get back in the gym and also try to start running again. I did not want to obsess because it was obsession that got me these injuries with my foot and back. I have been doing 2 days of weight lifting a week, 2 days of aerobics at home or cycling, and 1 day of running when my foot will allow. On the weekends I usually take a day off but like to at least go for a 20-30 minute walk. On the other day I try to do 100 pushups and also go for a short walk too. I haven't really changed my diet at all but have made an effort to cut out sweets as much as possible.

That was in mid-September, so just over 6 months ago. I have definitely gained muscle, and I'm lifting more than I ever did in the past. I have also lost fat, and some clothes which didn't fit are fitting now. That said, I still don't totally like the way I look. After 6 months, I still haven't lost as much fat as I'd like. I haven't weighed myself lately but I'd reckon I'm sitting around 82-83kg or so.

So here's the question: is it reasonable to expect that if I keep working out moderately, 5 days a week, and eating normal, I could continue burning fat slowly and gaining muscle? This was my initial theory, and while it seems to be working, I wonder if it's realistic to expect the benefits to persist past the 6 month mark. Or if I need to consider making more drastic changes like cutting calories or more frequent / intense workouts. Any thoughts?

Honestly, the thing about all this for me is I'm happier with this new workout regimen. I used to force myself to do stupid things like run through pain (hey plantar fasciitis), or go for a run in the rain, or obsess over restricting calories. Or workout 7 days a week when really I preferred to be doing other things on the weekend. Now I'm just kind of chill. I feel active and energetic, my 1 mile time is the best that it's ever been, and I'm lifting more than I ever have in my life. But yeah, I still looked better when I was forcing myself to workout more often.

I guess I've taken what I considered a more mature attitude and decided to say "well I don't care if I'm not as cut as I was, I'm happier" (and I'm not getting injured). But when someone takes a picture and you can see a little gut on me suddenly I'm like "fuck I'm a fatty". Maybe it's stupid but it's something I've battled with my whole life.

I think there's a happy medium between the old obsessive me and where I'm at now. I mean, there's room for some more improvement even if I don't get back to the cuttest I've ever been. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of lifestyle and if it works in the long-term. Time will tell either way I guess.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/shortyafter
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/u0ut75/losing_weight_and_gaining_muscle_slow_and_steady/

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Lose 20 Pounds at Home with a Busy Schedule Over 40s

How to Lose 20 Pounds at Home with a Busy Schedule Over 40s This video caters to individuals in their 30s and 40s who are seeking to red...