Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: NSV: Kicking the sugar habit

Friday, January 29, 2021

NSV: Kicking the sugar habit

So basically since college, when I realized I had my own money and I could buy candy literally whenever I wanted, I've had a sugar problem. Like a 20oz bottle of coke a day, half a pint of ice cream a night, and some chocolate almonds thrown in for good measure kind of sugar problem. I identified as somebody with a sweet tooth. I also identified as a person whose dietary habits are fine, except for the sugar consumption.

I've always told myself that I would just quit sugar next week, or next month, or whatever. That deadline would come, and it would go, and I would not cold-turkey my sugar habit. When this New Year came around again and I told myself "this is the year!!!" I knew I had to approach this whole thing differently. Instead of "just quit" I gave myself a reasonable goal and formally recognized the difference between sugar and added sugar.

I started around the second week of January, where I set myself a limit of 25g added sugar a day(the American Heart Association's recommended limit for women). I didn't have great success that week, still eating through old sugary snacks that hadn't yet been consumed in the holiday madness. Still, I managed to do it about 3 days that week and that was way better than I'd ever done before. And, the sugar was out of the house and I wasn't buying any more.

I thought "okay that went fine" so I moved my goal post. 20g of sugar a day. That week went way better. I think I shot over my goal once, and that was on a Friday when eating takeout with roommates. A total win in my book. This week, I dropped my goal down to 15g. Friday night just ended and I can happily report that I did pretty well. I had two slip-ups, one migraine related(which I've pre-defined as an acceptable loss. Caffeine seems to help the migraine, so soda is a tool I use). All-together a win.

What's more, this week, I've even been able to come to a better place emotionally regarding sugar. I managed to drink a single Starbucks coffee and enjoy it and that be all the sugar I had that day. I put off eating the mini mousses I'd bought because my morning(at home) coffee took up my daily limit. If I get a big sweet craving, I eat some fruit(god bless bananas) and feel full from it. It's honestly been amazing.

Now, not gonna lie, my craving to eat literally anything bad for you besides sugar is definitely coming out of the woods these days. Honestly, I'm okay with that. I'm gonna spend another week giving myself space to eat a little extra on the fatty/salty foods while eating <15g added sugar a day and get ready for the battle of <15g a day and reasonable/healthy fats. Hopefully in about a month I can come back and tell ya'll about how I'm getting ready to drop under 10g of sugar a day or whatever milestone comes next :)

submitted by /u/HighTechPanda
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/l8f954/nsv_kicking_the_sugar_habit/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...