Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Century Club - October 28, 2021 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Century Club - October 28, 2021 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous Topics: [What keeps you going?](I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous Topics: Health - What Keeps You Going? - Uniqueness - Aesthetics - Resetting Goals - Routine Breaks - Metrics - Starting - Dog Days of Summer -"Bad" Days - Labels - Aches and Pains - Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes... - Accountability - Elevator Pitches - (Half-)Marathon Training - Celebrations - Water Weight - Comments - Travel - Disconnects - Activity - Years! - Fun! - Rhythms - How strict? - Relationships - Loose Skin Redux - Multiple Centuries - April Fools! - What didn't work? - Milestones - Seasonal changes - Is it worth it? - Surprising Food Facts - Mistakes were made - Time to Vent - Relief Valves - Seeing Objectively - Tips you hate - Fear and Self-Loathing - Starting - 2020 recap


Food Holidays

We're entering the time of year in the US with repeated food based holidays. First up this weekend is Halloween. Sweets, sweets and more sweets. Thanksgiving is only a few short weeks away as is Christmas or Hanukkah and New Year's Eve (Champagne a plenty). No matter where you are or how you celebrate this time of year and exactly what your traditions are with family and friends, lots of calorie dense foods are prepared, served and shared from now until the beginning of 2022.

So how do you plan to handle this sheer onslaught of calories?

The first thing I remind myself is that my weight management is mostly about what happens from New Year's Day to Christmas Eve, and less between Christmas and New Year's! 7 days out of 365 is largely in the noise. Even if I plan a large celebratory meal once every two weeks that's still less than 10% of the days in the year. Focus on the 90% days...

Next, I generally know when these are coming. So I will tend to pre-compensate for these meals rather than feeling like I need to beat myself up afterwards. I know it's planned, it's not a surprise.

For example: /u/MarlnBrandoLookaLike, u/funchords and I have been talking about meeting IRL for a long time now since we all live in Eastern Massachusetts. We finally scheduled a date that worked for everyone and were planning to meet up for lunch at a restaurant relatively central to the three of us. [In case you're wondering these fine gentlemen are exactly like their Reddit persona. I'm glad to be able to finally have met them IRL, and hope that we'll be able to do it again sometime!]

One of my weaknesses at this place is their Cuban sandwich which comes in at 1250-1300 kcal depending on the side dish you order and that's bigger than my usual 400-600 kcal meals. So for a few days before Sunday I started banking a few extra calories. If I would normally have a 200 kcal snack, substitute a 100 kcal snack. Aim closer to 350-400 kcal for breakfast and lunch, etc... This can be harder to do when you are planning a deficit, but an extra 100 kcal deficit over 5 days is manageable in many cases.

I also prepared for the restaurant trip by eating only a banana that morning instead of my usual 2 egg breakfast and going for a 7 mile run with 2 additional miles of warm up/cool down for close to an additional ~1000 kcal burned before even showing up to the restaurant. Followed up with a simple/light dinner consisting of roasted chicken and cherry tomatoes. No additional carbs needed. Though I did also enjoy a small half-cup of ice cream at the end of the day. If my heavy meal was my evening meal, as is often the case, my lighter meal will often end up being a smaller breakfast or combined lighter brunch. Just naturally since I'll often still feel full from the large, late meal.

FWIW u/funchords also got the Cuban sandwich, but took half of his home, which is also my normal strategy if I hadn't planned ahead for it quite as much.

Even with all that preparation, I still ended up almost 3 lbs higher on the scale for a couple of days after the meal. Today's weigh in I was finally back around where I had been last week. Water weight is a bitch.

So, in general I try to pre-compensate in advance before the rich meal I know is coming. I'll spread that preparation out over a few days and try to increase activity for a bit before the meal. When the time comes I enjoy the moment, but still remain vigilant for the few days after (even if not trying to explicitly create a deficit).

We haven't bought Halloween candy yet, so that we don't feel tempted to dip into our stash before the kids come take it all away!

How about you Centurion, how are you preparing for the food centered holidays season? What's coming up, and what's the plan when it happens?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/qho1ot/century_club_october_28_2021_have_you_lost_or/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...