Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Starting over. It's harder the second time around.

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Starting over. It's harder the second time around.

TLDR: From 2016-2018 I lost 130 lbs, but I've put back almost 30 lbs of it, and I want to try again for my goal, but this time it's far harder to say no to temptation.

--

Beginning in 2016 I began my weight loss journey. In July 2016 I weighed 303 lbs (at 5'9"), and I hated it but not enough to do anything about it. I loved food too much and felt that giving up the food I loved would only make me miserable. At age 47, I had been overweight for more than 20 years but had never made an attempt to diet. Not even for a special event. I always felt that if I could take a magic pill to make me thin AND allow me to eat as much as I wanted, I'd love it. But my food (flavor, texture, experience!) was more important.

Then I had a change in medications (thyroid and hormone issues) and without any effort, in mid-October I weighed 285 pounds. That accidental weight loss changed my mindset, and I began making a conscious effort. If I didn't "suffer" while losing those 20 lbs, perhaps continued weight loss wouldn't lead to suffering either?

At first it was just "eat less" but eventually I found the concept of CICO and calorie tracking, joined a gym that offered Zumba three days a week (I attended religiously) and hiked several miles 2-3 days per week. I even began trail running, and was able to do a 10K, mostly at a run. My diet was a fairly strict 1500 calories, heavy on meats and vegetables, keeping carbs to <20% of my total calories.

My original goal weight was 180, but after a couple of months of success, I realized I could do better, and soon switched that to just above my high school weight of 160.

For the next six months I lost weight quickly, at times 12 pounds per month, and on Sept. 21, 2018, I reached Onderland and swore I would never, ever allow myself to top 200 pounds again.

However, once I reached 180, I lost motivation, as if my origional goal was "good enough." In August 2018 I weighed in at 177, and that was it for weight loss.

Since then my weight has been creeping up again. Summer 2019 I was able to maintain my weight around 190 -- I was in a very physically active job, which helped a lot. Then over this winter it began to creep up again. At the beginning of the year I was horrified to have reached 200 lbs again.

Because of that, I found my motivation again, but wow, it's harder to do it than it was the first time. This time I don't have the funds to join a gym. My area is having a particularly rough winter, and outside activities are very unpleasant and the trails are choked with snow. And this winter I'm working from home, basically at a desk job.

When I try to cook for myself the way I did before, I find myself dreading the meals. I loved them the first time around, I love meat and veggies, but I am burnt out on them. The idea almost turns my stomach. My brain and taste buds are screaming for carbs, carbs, carbs! I usually do very well in the morning and afternoon. It's after dinner snacking that gets me in trouble.

Slowly I'm getting better at sticking to my new calorie limit (1800) and reducing carbs. I've dropped 3 lbs since hitting 200 in early January. It's a start. I am determined to reach 160 -- and stay there!

submitted by /u/CailanJade
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/evw2w7/starting_over_its_harder_the_second_time_around/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...