Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Running with LoseIt - 8/31/2020 - Runners Rules of of the Road

Monday, August 31, 2020

Running with LoseIt - 8/31/2020 - Runners Rules of of the Road

This is a weekly post for the runners of LoseIt. All levels of runners are welcome -- from folks starting C25K (couch to 5K) to experiences runners with thousands of miles on their feet. We are very inclusive here -- if you run or want to run -- please join us!

This post is mostly for weekly updates on your running, first run reports, race details, questions and advice, and any running-releated NSVs (non-scale victories) you want to share.

In addition to this, I usually ramble on about some running related topic to get past the automod and to encourage some conversation. This week -- how to share the road/sidewalk/path.

Running Rules of the Road

I wish rules for sharing the sidewalks and paths I run on were taught in school or formalized like those for driving. It would be a much easier time out there.

Here's a brief article on Running Etiquette that covers lots of the basics --
http://runcoach.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=319

Stick to the Driving side of the Sidewalk/Path/Trail

If you are in the US or Continental Europe stick to the left side of any path or trail or sidewalk. In the UK and Others, stick to the Right. Is this really so difficult?

Most people do this without issue -- and it's rarely an problem until it isn't. I've have exactly three dangerous, dive out of the way encounters, on trails. Each time it was because of a wrong side biker, skateboarder, or scooter -- going fast. They are just having a good time and I'm turning a corner and boom they are careening at me. Dive! Dive! Dive! One kid on a Razor-style scooter spun me around.

Either pass or fall back

This is a tough one for a lot of folks it seems. I have no problem not following right behind someone who is running my speed -- I will either add in some speed and go by or slow way down and settle in 30' / 10m behind the person.

I've been followed closely a bunch, which is incredible because I'm glacially slow. I can only assume people don't want to pass -- or look upon it as a nice slow break on their run -- and are using me as the excuse. While I'm not worried about someone following me for safety reasons, I do find the breathing and footfalls just behind me can be distracting.

Pass Quickly

If you are going to pass, put a little sauce on it and get by someone. We don't think you are racing us, we know you are being nice and getting some fast distance.

Be Courteous Fast - Signal Your Intentions

Often I'm running on a narrow path and there's someone coming at me and we are not going to be able to easily pass -- I stop soon after seeing them or signal that I'm going to step aside the moment we make eye contact. I usually take the polite side of this exchange, particularly on trails where there's lots of trees and turns and blind spots. I find folks in these situations may not be looking up very much and I will surprise them if I let them get close and I'm blocking their way.

My signal? I point at myself, then point off the side of the trail I plan to stop/wait on. Everyone gets it -- they thumbs up usually. If not, I duck off the trail sooner.

In a Group, Be More Aware

I am oblivious in groups and someone would have yell at me to get my attention sometimes. Why? Because I'm talking and time if flying. I'm not so in-tune with the surroundings and road. So, I stick to the inside edge of the path and let someone else know I'm not good a spotting folks particularly coming up from behind.

If you are running 2 across -- stay tight together. Never run 3 across unless there's ample room for a running/biker going the other way without a close brush by. And, if you see someone behind you or in front of you -- give them lots of space. Single-file is the absolute most polite use of the path. Anything else is a judgement call.

Don't Cut Corners

If you are coming to an intersection or a trail crossing, there's often chances for little shortcuts, social paths, cut offs. If there's others around, or you've seen people regularly on the trail, stick to the trail please and stay on your side.

My two actual runner collisions are from people cutting corners -- bursting out when it was unexpected. They got a big surprise when they collided with sweaty me. I'm paying attention when I solo run but I'm not a mind reader. There's a path and you want to hurdle a branch and shave 10' off your run with some obstacle work -- well you might end up damp with my sweat 'cause I didn't expect you to do that.

I don't care if you race me, just be polite

It seems like lots of people like to race past me -- it's more than passing, they don't want to be slower than lumbering obese me. I don't care. I'm slow. My ego has nothing to lose from being way, way slower than you. I've left my old self so far in the dust anything anyone else does is meaningless. So please race me, blow me away, and leave me in your dust -- but be polite about it. Don't swerve and serpentine to do it. Don't dodge through people or pick a congested part of the trail to do it.

If you want to race -- pick a nice quiet spot and blow past me. But also, you better keep going because I always seem to pass you catching your breath later. Yo rabbit, the turtle does actually win if you can't run 2 miles without stopping.

Social Distance Running

These are unique times we live in. As a result, I've stepped up my polite moves and avid distancing. I don't follow someone even 30' behind them -- I take a different path. I don't pass someone closely if I can help it. I loop around and run for a minute and then turn back and return to my run now out of sight. If I'm coming at someone I go safely off the path sooner than most would and go as far as I can and continue my run. If I need to I will briefly get in a bike lane or walk to make it work.

At an intersection, don't wait right at the intersection. Instead stay 10'-15' from it if people are collected there. Once things are clear, speed along safely. At traffic signals this is easy if you are patient.

Number one tip -- run where there's fewer people even if it isn't as nice of a run or it's more hilly/etc. Take one for the team here.

See you all next week!

submitted by /u/cmxguru
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/ik96f7/running_with_loseit_8312020_runners_rules_of_of/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...