Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Is it really as simple as CICO? (Calories in Calories Out)

Monday, December 28, 2020

Is it really as simple as CICO? (Calories in Calories Out)

I've been doing some reading on the topic and it seems other things that affect CICO are easily summarised in this short video with sources.

When I first started to lose weight, I thought CICO was a great way to start losing weight, and it works. But I think the weight loss community has to be a bit more honest about it. The statistics on diets and how many people actually stick to the weight they lose over the years is very depressing.

I know it's quite popular on Reddit to assert that it's just what you eat and what comes out, that it's just about what you decide to eat and nothing to do with your body etc. That anything besides CICO is an "excuse" for why you are obese — but this just isn't the whole truth. Honestly I would very much like that to be true.
Your body actively fights you for losing weight and makes it more difficult to lose weight again if you regain it in the future. The body does not want to lose energy. Here's an article on the more nitty gritty of this.

I still think that CICO is a good jumping off point. But I really think that it's quite misleading and there should be some way of being up front about what happens after you lose weight. This post is sort of me asking for better ways to give diet advice, because a majority of people who go on a diet will regain the weight they lost eventually.

For some background. About 4 years ago I started calorie counting and lost a lot of weight. It lasted for about a year then I regained a bit, then I started strength training and was able to maintain my weight longer. Though quarantine and other life issues has kind of put me back into the same situation 4 years ago (albeit with more muscle so not quite as bad).

I'm not saying I'm absolved of any blame in regaining this weight, but the facts on this are real and losing weight long term will not just be calorie math.

I just wish I was more aware of this when I started losing weight. Currently I'm trying to find more permanent solutions to losing my weight instead of calorie counting (more exercise, CBT to treat BED, and more home cooking etc.). I cannot guarantee those will work, but I at least know I will be healthier for it. I don't want to be stuck in a loop of losing weight, only to regain it a few years later and having it be more difficult to lose the same weight.

Regardless, I think I'm much healthier now than how I started (mostly due to strength training). However, I think there needs to be more honesty and more openness about the actual long term results of calorie counting to people who are looking to lose weight. Though I'm not even sure myself, how to change the message.

Edit: Some more reading:

https://www.apa.org/science/about/psa/2018/05/calorie-deprivation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5764193/#!po=0.757576

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41574-018-0148-4.

submitted by /u/alibix
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/klnfze/is_it_really_as_simple_as_cico_calories_in/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...