Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: Running with LoseIt - 4/26/2021 - Slower, Longer, Better

Monday, April 26, 2021

Running with LoseIt - 4/26/2021 - Slower, Longer, Better

This is a somewhat 'weekly' post for the runners of LoseIt.

All levels of runner are welcome here, from first timers to experienced marathoners. We welcome someone who just ran for the first time or is just starting couch to 5K (r/c25k) as eagerly as someone who has thousands of miles of experience.

This post is for sharing your weekly progress or excitement with running. From training you got in this last week, your first run, a virtual race, or a real race, we'd love to hear what you did. Got a running related NSV (non-scale victory), we'd love to hear. Have a question or need advice, we are here to help.

In addition to sharing your progress each week, I ramble on about some topic related to running. This week's topic -- Slower = Longer = Better

Note: Sorry I've missed the last two weeks due to my work. It's just been solid busy for 9+ months now.

Slower

I can't say this enough to new runners. Go slower.

If you are looking to be a distance runner (5K and longer distances) and you are starting out you are likely going way too fast during most of your runners. Running ability is a function of aerobic endurance. And endurance is built by going longer and longer. To run longer, you need to run slower. This eases up on the effort and allows you to progress to longer workouts.

I know you want to go out and run and feel fast. I also know there's some speed you may feel you need to go to be running -- or you just only know running as fast. Distance running is more guarded than that. You need to run at a speed to complete the distance. Even at a 5K distance you can go out and run the first 5-10 minutes too fast and be done, nearly puking from overdoing it and finish in 120-150% of the time you run if you just ran the speed that you can hang on to for five kilometers.

Longer

Regardless of what speed you go, hanging on to run the full distance you set out is the goal of distance running. When you line up at the 10K start line, you are out to run 6.2 miles without stopping at a speed you can hold onto, and maybe kick it up a little in the back half. 10K is a decent distance, and one most people take around an hour or more to complete.

When you train as a novice to run a 10K, you likely train yourself up to 5-6 miles or 60 minutes of continuous just prior to the race. Come race day you are just capable of running that distance with a bit of stretch from your longest workout. That's a solid plan -- and it about getting to that 5-6 mile or 60 minute continuous run.

To get to that soonest the key would be prolong your workouts, keep your continuous running time getting longer and longer and maximize it. As a new runner, the best strategy here is a slower pace.

As a intermediate runner, you push past the distance, though. To train to run a faster better 10K on your second outing or third, fourth, etc. You'd like aim to have your longest run exceed 10K by a wide margin. I'd recommend a 8-10 mile long run. This combined with shorter than 10K distance tempo workouts and 1K/800m repeats, you'd get your speed up.

Better

The best strategy for getting better is to run more. The best way to do that is more slow runs.

Why?

  • Slow runs allow you to go longer, building more endurance.
  • Slow runs are easy to recover from allowing you adapt quicker without your runs impacting your progress.
  • Slow runs are easier on your body.

Slow long runs make is easier to run shorter distances, faster. You have a problem holding onto that desired speed for a 5K? Try running 30-45 seconds less per km/mile for as long as you can as counter point to mock race workouts. Recover well, say 2 days off. And then go pound out that 5K again.

Not all training should be slow running -- but I recommend it to new runners looking to get up to that 5K, 10K, or half-marathon goal race. The key is more slower running.

Recovery Update

I hurt myself back at the end of March and I'm pretty recovered, but I'm also de-trained. My strategy coming back from injury is always a prudent progression of easy workouts to build back up. I've had a few training runs building back up -- first was 20 continuous minutes. Then 25 minutes. Then close to 30 easy minutes of running.

I likely could have went out and ran 45-50 minutes my first run. I had it in me in terms of cardio but I like to ease back into running. It's hard on the body and I've been down more than few weeks.

I'm similarly ramping up my rowing. 2K, 3K, 4K rows. Each a little harder, but these are all quite short in duration.

And I'm recovering well after all my runs and rows. 2-3 days for now. Since I'm doing rows and runs, it usually means row one day, run the next day, then day off (I walk 15K steps/5+ miles). Then back at it again.

Running Sock Shoot Out Update

I have my order of socks together -- I'm going try the lastest from Injini, Swiftwick, Feetures, Drymax, Smartwool, and Saucony. I wasn't going to try Injini's, but I actually got a blister on my first run back between my toes! I think that was a sign to try them again.

submitted by /u/cmxguru
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/mzhkvl/running_with_loseit_4262021_slower_longer_better/

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Lose 20 Pounds at Home with a Busy Schedule Over 40s

How to Lose 20 Pounds at Home with a Busy Schedule Over 40s This video caters to individuals in their 30s and 40s who are seeking to red...