Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: 3 months of CICO and exercise with almost no progress - sanity check?

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

3 months of CICO and exercise with almost no progress - sanity check?

Hi everyone

I love this sub. So supportive and you answer all my dumb questions. Here comes a long one but I'm going a little nuts atm:

31F/ 5'11 SW: 230.6 CW: 225 GW: happy

TL;DR I fear my metabolism is completely screwed due to thyroid medication I took for two years as a significant change in diet and lifestyle has made no difference to weight.

I started my journey in earnest back in February, but I reached my HW of 236 last Oct.

Back in 2019, I was diagnosed with Graves and Hyperthyroidism after being hospitalised with Thyrotoxicosis during a really stressful time in my life. I gained lost and regained the same 50lbs in less than 18 months (it was closer to a year, but I'm being generous about the initial gain)- and apart from one month of lazy keto, I did not change my diet or exercise. It was really crazy, I was like elastigirl. People thought I was abusing something.

It finally stabilised at the top end but my metabolism has not been the same since. I just came off the medication in January which was what prompted me to give weightloss another go. Please - if you're one of those people here to say "meds can't cause weight gain/loss they only make you hungry" or anything similar, I'm just going to ask you to stop and leave. I can only speak anecdotally, but because of the thyroids I pay close attention to things like weight and diet even when I'm not dieting because those are the first signs.

This time last year I weighed 224-230lbs, it was the first lockdown in the UK, I was super depressed, completely sedentary, ordering takeaway every other day, a newfound addiction to Coca-Cola (shortlived thank god) and sleeping maybe 4 hours a day. I wasn't surprised at all by my weight.

Today I weigh 225, I average 8k steps, I alternate pilates and strength training in the evening (beginners) and cardio every morning. I cut out all soda, caffeine, quit smoking, upped my h2O game and I've dramatically reduced my added salt intake as that's a trigger. It was a lot at once but it was worth it. I aim for 1400-1600 cals, which I usually hit. I just had a bad week, but I've been genuinely been consistent and I count everything I possibly can. MFP is useless for Caribbean food but I weigh everything I can and do my best. I hate counting and don't intend to do it forever but I understand it.

I lost 4lbs of water weight in one week back in Feb and I've bounced around 1-2lbs these last 2 months. It's VERY disheartening. In February, I set what I thought was a very realistic goal to lose ~30lbs by Aug. That would take me to onederland and be my sort of halfway point. That was about 5lbs a month. But now it's nearly May, and losing 30lbs by Aug has become unrealistic because what I'm doing clearly isn't working.

Now - I do feel better in some ways. I feel a bit stronger. I was a hermit, almost agoraphobic, at the beginning of the year and now I get out just about everyday. I sleep a bit better (6 hours opposed to 4- working on it). I get less headaches because I'm super hydrated. I redecorated my room so I actually have space to work out. I'm enjoying working out. I think I've lost about an inch around my waist. But the weight is not moving.

I only added strength training two weeks ago so I don't think that accounts for the previous two months of nothing. My strength training is only 20 mins with a 12kg kettlebell lol. I'm use light 3kg dumbbells in my cardio. So I doubt I've put on any muscle. I did a 24 hour fast last week and I saw a little dip, but that went back up to 224 within a couple days. I don't know how all of this could be water retention but I do have a love of salty foods.

This is the most patient and consistent I've been with weight loss. I'm in this for the long haul. But I think it's fair to say that after three months and basically no results something is wrong, right?

Someone is going to say calorie counting and I'm begging you to believe me when I say there is no way I'm am eating at maintenence (224, 31F 5'11 TDEE gives me a default 2392. Even at BF of 40% it would be 2k. I know my muscle mass is very low, but my TDEE would have to be somewhere around 1600 for me to be maintaining the same weight for months, not including any exercise. And that seems very inaccurate for a woman my size, surely.

I hope someone here can see something I can't and help me out where I'm going wrong. For years I gave up on ever getting in shape because of my health problems and now it feels like I was right. Advice appreciated.

submitted by /u/bija822
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/mzmo5a/3_months_of_cico_and_exercise_with_almost_no/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...