Discover effective weight loss tips that actually work to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Get motivated and start your journey towards a healthier you today.

Weight Loss for Everyone: I am so tired of getting "the lecture"

Wednesday, November 16, 2022

I am so tired of getting "the lecture"

I'm sure that this won't be unfamiliar to many of you, but I just need to get it out.

As a person who does not have a normal BMI, going to the doctor can be demoralizing. It can be bad enough to make you want to stay away until you "get yourself together." In most cases, I resist the urge to skip, and I encourage anyone reading this (who is fortunate enough to have insurance, for those of us in the U.S.) to try and go as well. It's important to check in with ourselves.

But when you do get enough nerve to go, it's unsurprising when something is...a little off, shall we say. Maybe it's just that your weight is a little too high. Maybe it's that your blood pressure is a little too high. That A1C? A little too high.

What I haven't mentioned is that, prior to this appointment, you have been trying! You've been counting calories and maybe you've even seen a nice drop on the scale. You have been doing well and deserve to feel good about your SVs and NSVs. But your doctor doesn't see any of that; they only see where you are right at that moment. Maybe you have a great doctor who will listen to your "But I've been counting! I go on walks! I lost 5 pounds!" Sadly, though, great doctors are hard to come by and with most, there is no discussion about what you've been doing right - only an assumption about what you do outside of the office. More accurately, there are only assumptions about what you don't do. This doctor will then give you "the lecture," which is really just a rundown of health problems ahead, followed by unsolicited tips that you have heard relentlessly already during your years as a yo-yo dieter.

Just try controlling your portions...

Have you tried a walk before or after dinner?

Maybe you should consider surgery...

Today I was subjected to the lecture yet again during an annual physical. It's never any less embarrassing or infuriating. I know what to do! I've done it before! I was thankful to be wearing a mask so my doctor couldn't see how tightly my lips were pursed as I just "mm-hmmed" along until he was done.

I just recently started back at Day One. As with every time, I hope this journey will be different - the one that I can see through until the end. I have ADHD and PCOS, both of which make it hard to lose. The ADHD diagnosis is very recent so I'm hoping that being treated for it will help as this is a tool that I didn't have before. Since this was an annual, I'm hoping to be in a different place next year. I have a long way to go so I'll probably still get another lecture, but maybe it won't be as long.

There is no point to this post, other than to express how tired I am of hearing about my weight, especially when I'm actively trying. But I also want to express solidarity with others who have been getting the lecture, whether from a doctor, family, friends, etc. Being on the receiving end is awful, and I hope you reach your goal so that you can become the self-righteous lecturer yourself.

submitted by /u/Kurenaikami
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/yxaayk/i_am_so_tired_of_getting_the_lecture/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kate Middleton fitness: Kensington Palace offers update on her go back to work

Kensington Palace has shared a announcement concerning Kate Middleton’s cancer battle and while royal enthusiasts can assume her to go bac...